Geinig... TopGear's Jeremy Clarkson in 2007 over de Subaru Outback

Subarunieuws, interessante links (foto/video) etc.
Plaats reactie
Raph

Geinig... TopGear's Jeremy Clarkson in 2007 over de Subaru Outback

Bericht door Raph »

Op Wikipedia vond ik vanavond een vermelding dat de Subaru Outback in 2007, samen met de Ford Mondeo, de "Top Gear car of the year award" had gewonnen. Daar wilde ik meer over weten. Maar dat bleek toch wat minder eenvoudig dan gedacht. Uiteindelijk kwam ik terecht op een column van Jeremy Clarkson op TopGear.com, getiteld Jeremy Clarkson on the ‘perfect car’, waarin hij zijn gedachten laat gaan over welke auto in 2007 het beste totaalplaatje bood:
Jeremy Clarkson schreef:[...]

What I’m looking for here is the automotive equivalent of my favourite European city, Biarritz. It’s in France, which means it’s beautiful but like you, most of the people there hate the French, because they’re Basque. It’s on the seaside which means you get a beach, which is relaxing, but the sea’s full of waves which makes it exciting. The food is… well, let me put it this way: Biarritz is a spit from Gascony, and that’s the epicentre. And it doesn’t cost a fortune to get there.

Yet, I look through the lists at the back of this magazine and I can find something wrong with every single model in there. And when you think we’ve had the car for nearly 120 years, I find that a bit depressing. But then I arrived at ‘S’, and sitting there was the Subaru Legacy Outback. I stopped for a moment and thought: “Hmmm…”

What is a Subaru? To those in bobble hats, it is a machine that comes out of the night and spits stones into your face. To those with baseball caps, it is a fire-breathing incarnation from the pixellated world of the PlayStation, a device whose pops and bangs enliven the local supermarket car park on a Saturday night.

But then to those in hats made from tweed, it is a car for the farm, something you used to buy, until recently, from the same place you bought your seeds and plough.
To those of an Impreza disposition, its four-wheel-drive system means better donuts. To those on the farm, it means you can reach a stranded sheep when it’s two in the morning and snowing. In town, we find the same thing. The eco-hobbits don’t realise it’s a four-wheel-drive SUV. It’s just a rather fine-looking estate car which costs less than half what you’re expected to pay for a similarly commodious Porsche Cayenne.

And to everyone, a Subaru stands as a shining beacon of hope that one day, all cars will be made this way. When you slam the door, it makes exactly the same sound as a recently shot pheasant hitting the ground, and that, as everyone knows, is one of the most satisfying noises in the world. 
Plainly, this attention to detail goes further than the door though, because in every survey on reliability, Subaru always comes in the top five.

But it’s not a convertible, I hear you cry. That’s true, but the last version I drove had such a massive sunshine roof, it may as well have been. The Legacy Outback, then, covers more of the bases for more of the time than anything else. And that’s the hardest trick of all. It’s a big, small, fast, economical, well-made, cheap, fine-handling, comfortable SUV that’s not an SUV.

Is it therefore the best car in the world? Well yes, obviously, except for one thing: if I had £30,000 to spend on a set of wheels, I’d have an Alfa Brera.
quikfit

Re: Geinig... TopGear's Jeremy Clarkson in 2007 over de Subaru Outback

Bericht door quikfit »

Hij kan het mooi vertellen. :lol:

Gr.Quikfit :mrgreen:
Subaru Forester SJ FB20 2013 Noorwegen
viewtopic.php?t=6157
RJS

Bericht door RJS »

Het zijn ouwehoeren die autojournalisten, maar Clarkson vind ik toch wel van de bovenste plank. Niet bepaald op inhoudelijk vlak (want wat een gelul ook dit keer) maar omdat ik altijd vreselijk moet lachen om dat puberale gedoe van die topgeargasten...
*thomas*

Bericht door *thomas* »

Ja, het is veel gelul, maar hij slaat wel de nagel op de kop.

In Europa is het verwaarloosbaar, maar in 'the USA' was de Outback (samen met de volvo XC) wel HET alternatief voor de grote, lompe SUV. Hij omschrijft de Outback perfect als een alles-kunner (en in tegenstelling tot de volvo, is de Outback dynamischer/sportiever, dat ontbreekt in de XC).

Bedankt voor het delen, Raph!
Plaats reactie